We all love a good burger and today’s inspiration comes from one of Sam & Sarah’s family favourites – The Beety Burger. It’s hearty, delicious and full of goodness. Recipe from, So Vegan.
Makes 4 Beety Burgers.
For the burgers…
1/3 cup brown rice
1 ½ cups water
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 cup cooked beetroot grated
1 cup raw walnuts
1 ½ cups black beans
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp each of chilli flakes, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper
For the guacamole…
2 tbsp lemon juice
¼ red onion
1 clove of garlic
Pinch of salt & pepper
1. Place rice and water in saucepan. Cover with lid and bring to boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, put 2 tbsp oil in pan. Once hot add onions and cook until tender. Add garlic, beetroot and cook for further 2 minutes.
3. Grind walnuts until fine.
4. Drain and towel-dry beans. Place in large bowl and mash until only a few whole beans remain.
5. Place rice, onion mix, walnuts, breadcrumbs and seasoning in black bean bowl. Mix together and form 4 burgers or 5 smaller burgers.
6. Put 2 tbsp oil in pan. Once hot, fry burgers for 6 minutes on each side (or until nicely browned).
7. Meanwhile, cut buns open and toast either side.
8. For the avocado sauce, peel and de-seed the avocado. Place flesh in bowl and mash with fork, then add lemon juice, onion, garlic, and pinch of salt and pepper.
9. Assemble burger to your liking!