CONCRETE WORKTOPS PUT TO THE TEST

Date

Concrete worktops put to the test

Here at Sustainable Kitchens, we have numerous enquiries regarding concrete worktops, and why not- they’re sleek and industrial, they’re smooth and eco-friendly: what’s not to like? Well, unfortunately with years of experience under our belts, we understand alongside the pro there are some imperfections to be aware of.
To get a fuller understanding of what concrete is like to live within our homes, we embarked on some of our testing. Getting all experimental, we placed our concrete sample slaps in our kitchen, got out the top staining culprits we found in the cupboard and began our work.
What we tested:

  • Tomato Ketchup
  • Lemon Juice
  • Curry paste

What we found:

In this round the concrete is protected with a beeswax-based sealer, this is a natural product, it both penetrates the concrete and acts as a top coat. Wax produces an attractive, low- to high-sheen finish that brings out the best in the concrete’s colour and visual texture. It however did not manage to fend off our lemon juice, after just a few hours the acid had corroded the top surface, leaving behind a telling and obvious stain.

concrete 1

This time we used a polyurethane sealer, which is nearly twice as thick as acrylic sealers, this product is very durable, and the top surface provides extra protection against abrasion. Tasked with our three kitchen products, however, it failed to maintain its finish. The lemon juice again produced the worst assault.
We’ve quickly learnt that concrete is an unforgiving surface, it’s naturally porous and although it’s tough as a whole sheet, it’s ever-changing in terms of appearance. To keep it looking new and pristine is a continuous challenge, if not impossible.

concrete 2

The future

Despite our differences with concrete, we now look forward to and are very excited about new products that are aiming for a concrete finish without durability issues.
Arizona Tiles – Metropolis Quartz
quartz 1
These tiles are 93% quartz, bound with resin, polymers, and pigments. A man-made product that emulates the finish of concrete without the drawbacks, quartz is ultra-durable and resistant to scratches and chipping. Its dense composition also makes the Arizona Tile highly resistant to staining.

With a focus on sustainability: ECO by Cosentino Tiles – Grey Moss

q2

This tile is composed of 75% recycled materials. The remaining 25% is made up of a blend of quartz, natural stone, pigments and exclusive partially vegetable resin. We think 75% recycled materials is very impressive, so what exactly are these?

  • mirrors salvaged from houses, buildings and factories;
  • glass from windshields, windows and bottles;
  • granulated glass from consumer recycling practices;
  • porcelain from China, tiles, sinks, toilets and ECO by Cosentino elements.

Cosentino claims the surface performs highly against staining, scratching and scorching, as well as being non-porous, therefore not requiring any sort of sealer. A promising claim, and one we are excited to investigate!

*Please note that the information provided is advice only. We cannot help individuals with their queries unless they are undertaking a full kitchen project with us. We are not responsible for any damage incurred by following the advice*

More
articles

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

Stay up-to-date with news, promotions, and the latest kitchen design trends.

By signing up to our newsletter, you agree with our privacy policy.